We the undersigned community members are concerned about the increasing use of Nitrous Oxide bulbs or “Nangs” by the youth in our community. While Nitrous Oxide has a legitimate purpose, either as an Anaesthetic for mostly dental services or for cake decorating, our children and young people are using them to get high.
The use of Nitrous Oxide is associated with a range of potential harmful effects, including:
- Reduced blood pressure;
- Fainting, heart attack and hypoxia;
- Memory loss, significant reduction in vitamin B12 stores;
- Damage to the spine, anaemia, incontinence;
- Numbness to extremities, limb spasms and weakened immune systems; and
- Birth defects (when used during pregnancy).
At present many would be surprised to know that there is very little regulation on the supply of Nitrous Oxide. It can be ordered by any person, even juveniles and can be delivered to a person’s home at any time, day or night. This needs to stop.
Nangs also have a negative impact on our environment with users discarding the empty bulbs anywhere they see fit. This has an adverse effect on our waterways, local parks and playgrounds. Not to mention young children in our community finding great piles of discarded bulbs.
We believe more needs to be done to address the sale and use of the Nitrous Oxide bulbs or ‘Nangs” that is disproportionally affecting the youth in our community.